Wednesday 28 September 2022

Stephan Borgehammar Brushing Up My Greek a Bit


Assorted retorts from yahoo boards and elsewhere: My Ancient Greek May Be Rusty, But Not Inextant · Correspondence of Hans Georg Lundahl: Stephan Borgehammar Brushing Up My Greek a Bit

I
Me to Stephan Borgehammar
9/27/2022 at 1:34 PM
peri pleistou, Critias (in English as I ask to get your answer/s to my blog)


Am I right or is Athina right?

Me:
For the most, that which is to be made is not to live, but to live well.
(Me, not noted alternative) :
That which is to be made for the most is not to live, but to live well.
Athina:
One should not live to gain more things but to live well.

You may also be interested in Neanderthal démise:

Assorted retorts from yahoo boards and elsewhere : So Far Confirming my Theories
https://assortedretorts.blogspot.com/2022/09/so-far-confirming-my-theories.html


The latest updates from it are from today, with tbitfiddler!

Ha det så godt!
Hans Georg Lundahl

Answered twice
II a and II b

II a
Stephan Borgehammar to Me
9/27/2022 at 10:01 PM
Re: peri pleistou, Critias (in English as I ask to get your answer/s to my blog)
I checked a few places where Plato writes περί πλείστου ποιείν and it seems to mean “value most highly”. So I would translate: “To live should not be valued most highly, but to live well.”

Bästa hälsningar,
Stephan

III a
Me to Stephan Borgehammar
9/28/2022 at 11:47 AM
Re: peri pleistou, Critias (in English as I ask to get your answer/s to my blog)
Thank you!

II b
Stephan Borgehammar to Me
9/27/2022 at 10:03 PM
Re: peri pleistou, Critias (in English as I ask to get your answer/s to my blog)
PS: A similar English expression is “to make the most of”.

Idem

III b
Me to Stephan Borgehammar
9/28/2022 at 11:48 AM
Re: peri pleistou, Critias (in English as I ask to get your answer/s to my blog)
Ah, not bad!

The kind of thing I miss with too little sleep!

Thank you again!/HGL

No comments:

Post a Comment